blocks.gif
ET - QW Status

blocks.gif
ET Jaymod - Status

blocks.gif
TS Block

BBA TeamSpeak Viewer

Buffalo Bad Ass: Forums

Buffalo Bad Asses :: View topic - Cooling Issues...

Cooling Issues...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filoufelin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had trouble with my temp,(after putting cpu cooling and some extra fan,i just open one side of my case and replace it with a screen
(dont know if thats the exact word,but its the thing that keep insect outside
u know the last door)and i put a real big fan in front.
Usally it brings temp down by 10-20 degrees...at least i think,i do get better performence and i do o.c. everything in my pc(mem,cpu and video card).hopes it hlp.

P.S. its like having a 25 cm fan except it goes alot faster,which means more cooling,or at the very least better air flow.
TAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your system specs... but here is what I'd use

and

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dusting out your fan. I know, that seems like a simple thing to do... but if you haven't been having heat issues, processors don't suddenly just get warmer, in my experience. That aside, you can try doing what filoufelin said (I've taken the side off of my case before, and it did help temps a bit, but I couldn't stand the look), or just get a new fan and some good thermal compound as TAR suggested. Good luck.
Nerdy
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what the ambient temperature in the room is usually? Also try reseating the cpu fan and apply some arctic silver 5. Is the cpu fan the stock fan? If so, perhaps you should invest in a Zalman 9500 or 9700, providing it will fit in your case and there are no components in the way on your motherboard.

I have a 5200+ as well, and a Zalman 9700NT. I run my cpu at 2.8ghz, a modest 200mhz overclock, and my temps idle at about 20C and load at about 30C. All this is packed inside a NZXT Nemesis Elite mid tower case, which is quite cramped with the Ultra and all, but somehow I managed to get it running cool.

What kinda case do you have?

Another thought...Have you checked the temps on your 8800? If it is running hot, then all that hot air has nowhere to go in the case, but up into the cpu fan. So the problem may lie there.
Eviscerator
Bad Ass Groupie
Bad Ass Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have close to thes same specs as you and with some help from Dirtyoldman got my temps down from 62 to 49. Here's what I did:

Got a nice CPU heatsink/fan combo like the one shown here http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=152&id=2554 and used artic ceramic paste.

and

Installed 2 120mm fans in the front and back of the case and I already had a 80mm side fan.
High Clan Admin
High Clan Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to check your power supply too. If the fan in the P/S is starting to fail, that could also be part of what's causing the temp spikes in the machine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, if that is the case, you should probably get a new fan. I guess my last comment wasn't quite as thought out as it should have been. Sorry.
Zeus
BBA BigBoss
BBA BigBoss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your cpu cooler and FAN are clean and good, nothing exotic, but make sure they are solid and seated well.

I am running a stock amd cooler on my OC'd 64 3200, and had some crash's, i left the cooler alone and just bumped up to a better fan, then the best move i made was, I took a 4" hole saw, and cut a hole in the side of my case, making sure to position it so it is aligned partially at my vid card and cpu, then put a nice quiet 120 mm fan in and now can oc my vid card as well, with no crash's ever. My cpu went from high 50's when gaming to 39-42 under full load for hours. wtg

Remember the best heatsink and fan are useles if your still blowing hot air on them. shrug
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zalman 9500 series are very popular with the AMD users. You can't go wrong with it if your case can accommodate such a large fan. I notice that your particular case is fairly weak in the area of intake. Are there even any intake fans at all in the front of the case? Even with the open slot you mentioned, one 80mm fan isn't going to cut it. I would try to find a way to have an equal amount of intake/exhaust.

Also, with the 8800, you probably noticed that there are two exhaust vents on the card. One is on the back of the card, and the other is on the plastic shroud on the card. In actuality, most of the heat gets dumped out of the vent in the plastic shroud and back into the case, to be sucked back into the gpu fan. So if I were you, I would get a PCI slot cooler similar to this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200019) and install it right under the video card. I use this particular fan to exhaust the hot air from my 8800 Ultra, and it works like a charm.

In my case, there was a huge deadzone with no airflow under the video card. I had to install the exhaust fan to keep the hot air out, as well as a 90mm case fan on the side of the hdd rack to bring air that was pulled in by the front intake fan on through to the video card. Before the addition of these two fans, my Ultra idled at around 69C and loaded at 88C!!! Now it idles at 58C and loads at 73C, which is very good for this type of video card.

Hope this helps wtg
TAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH..... I see. The case is your main problem. I'm not sure how much you are planning/wanting to spend if you decide to buy a new case. I would suggest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec

or a case with a similar configuration to mine

http://www.fortune3.com/technologydepot/ANTEC_CASE-Antec_LAN_BOY_SUPER_LANBOY_Silver_Computer_Case_Wi-.html
madmaz
BBA Backer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell just take the case off and stick a small desktop fan next to it.
Zeus
BBA BigBoss
BBA BigBoss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, dont buy a new case, we just need to get more air flow into it.

Those dumb ass 8800's runs so stupidly idiotically hot is where all your extra heat is coming from. I see now my side fan idea is out, if it were me, i would use the same idea but do it blow hole style right on the top of that case, nice 120 mm with a good looking grill and lights and would make the case still look cool, but give you the needed additional air flow. twocents
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb ass 8800? cry

More like big ass 8800 lmao

Yeah, with the tips I posted on cooling that 8800, and Zeus' ideas, you should be running much cooler wtg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Buffalo Bad Asses Forum Index -> Computers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: