blocks.gif
ET Jaymod - Status

blocks.gif
TS Block

BBA TeamSpeak Viewer

Buffalo Bad Ass: Forums

Buffalo Bad Asses :: View topic - General "Guide"

General "Guide"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Buffalo Bad Asses Forum Index -> Left 4 Dead / 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-999-
BBA Backer

Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: General "Guide" Reply with quote

This is nothing personal against anyone else, we are all new to this game at some point. But, these are some things I've learned and picked up while playing L4D with friends and on pubs (which I never play pub coop anymore, but that's another story) since the closed demo. These aren't really sorted, just kinda off the top of my head things. Will probably be more added as time goes on, and anyone feel free to add to them.

SSBP = any combination of swarmed, smokered, boomed, and pounced.
SI = Special Infected
Zeus- Here's the biggest one most overlook, play SINGLE PLAYER, get familiar with controls, sounds, maps etc, it makes your online play less frustrating for you and teammates.

1. Don't jump into an advanced game unless you're fairly comfortable with getting through on normal, and don't jump into an expert game unless you've pretty much mastered advanced (ie; beaten the campaigns without having to restart any of the maps, unless there's some tragic tank mishap or the like). The amount of damage and number and toughness of the infected between advanced and expert is an order of magnitude harder. Get a regular group and go through the camps until you're used to each other. It'll make the whole experience better overall. You should in general wait until your pretty good in advanced before you play VS, and you have to realize alot of the rules change as SI controlled by people are much more deadly.

2. Do not go "rambo" or "foraging" and run off by yourself, unless it's part of a strategy, EVER. You not only leave yourself open to being SSBP, but your teammates now have one less gun to defend the group, and are likely to die trying to come save your dumb ass. Going into small separate rooms quickly in a building are fine (in coop) to look for supplies, but it's always best to go as a group or be within a couple seconds of each other.

2 part deux. This is not like a lot of fps games where you just bunny hop around. Doing so will get you shot, by me (and others), many, many times. The whole concept of movement in the game is a "quick moving tactical crawl". You move somewhat quickly forward, stop and clear an area, go forward. If you need to move sideways, do so slowly, don't jump, that way you don't run into friendly fire. If you're crouching and someone's firing behind you, don't just stand up as you're likely to be tk'd.

3. As you move along, try to stay near walls and keep track of what small rooms are nearby so you're ready for a horde. If you haven't had one in a little while, there's a good chance you're going to get one soon, and it's never bad to be prepared. You should almost always be moving along close to a wall, near a door, or moving quickly towards one. Being out in the open for a horde is a quick ticket to being downed.

4. When you enter a room to defend from a horde, you need to pick roles. Everyone shooting is great for a little bit, but if they break down the door, they'll make their way in and start doing damage. If you're closest to the door, you are now the official melee guy. Swing to bounce them back while crouched so your teammates can pick them off. In some cases it's helpful to have 2 melee guys, but it depends. Usually if you have a shotgun, you should be one of the ones closes to the door, both since it's a close range weapon and to avoid tk'ing your teammates.

5. FF damage for the most part is non-existent when someone is being pulled or pounced, so if you're not really close to the person, shoot at them to release them. Waiting to run over can mean a significant amount of health.

6. If you're boomed on, try to move back towards a wall or corner and melee 'till you can see. If you're out in the open, try to see where they're coming from and try meleeing in that direction, checking behind you from time to time. In either case it's important that you crouch, that way your teammates can pick off the heads of the attacking horde without tk'ing you. If your teammate gets boomed on, realize the horde's after him, not you.

7. In the harder difficulties(coop), health packs are limited or non-existent outside the safe room, and pills are also somewhat limited. The best strategy is not to use the health pack until you've gone down atleast once. It's preferable to wait until your black and white to heal up, that way there's just that many hits you've absorbed before you bring your health up. Only times this isn't a good idea is VS, there's a tank nearby that you're going to have to run from and you don't have pills for those who are hurt, or you're going into a crescendo (finale, dt3 church, etc).

8. In coop, you need to remember that not everyone has to make it to the room for you to go on. There are multiple strategies for this, such as someone going on a suicide run to light up the tank so the others can get away. Again, personal stats mean absolutely nothing in this game, it only matters that you get to the end.

9. On harder levels, the tank has a huge amount of health, so taking him down run and gun is usually going to get you killed. The best approach is to light him on fire via molly or gas tank, and run away. If you're in a crescendo like the finale, you need to run in a way that makes him climb quite a bit to take up time/health, while still putting rounds into him. He'll usually sticks to running after who's closest to him, so you can use this with one person "kiting" him and the others unloading. Realize that a tank by default is slower then a green survivor and slightly faster then an orange. If you light him on fire, he becomes faster then you can possibly run, so getting some distance and using obstacles is best practice.

10. The witch in most cases is to be avoided, especially on advanced and expert. If you have to deal with here, there are a few options. Cr0wning is pretty popular, but you need to practice it in the lower difficulties to know what you're doing. Depending on which way she's faced, sometimes you want her to get up a little bit, and sometimes you want to blast her while she's still sitting, sometimes shooting her in the face, sometimes shooter her in the lower back. Use an auto-shotgun if at all possible, the pump shotgun can work, but it takes a bit of expertise to do it. Rifle and AR don't work for cr0wning. There are two other options. In either case, you can not startle her in any way before hand, otherwise they don't work right, even if she returns to crying. One is to use the hunting rifle and headshot her. Doing so stuns her for a few secs and gives the team a bit of time to put her down before she downs/kills whoever shot her. The other is to light her on fire, either with molly or gas tank thrown by her. This has the same stunning affect and gives the team time to drop her.

11. Weapons selection within the group is important. You should always have atleast one AR in the group, one shotgun, and you can go from there. The hunting rifle can be nice because it shoots through walls the others won't (concrete block, etc), but it is completely inaccurate when running, so choose wisely.

Last edited by -999- on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 am; edited 3 times in total
dax
High Clan Admin
High Clan Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2nd number 2 ( lmao )
the bunny hop tactic is useless in this game... ZOMBIES DON'T HAVE GUNS and you have no need to do any evasive manuvers to avoid someone getting a sight bead on you... will actually cause more harm in this game rather then just crouching and remaining immobile during an attack.

Great post 999...

DAX
Friend of BBA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide -999-. I've learned a lot of these things from you guys guiding me through games, but for newer players, this is a great starting guide. wtg
Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start this weekend. So I appreciate the tips!

Now if I can only put them to good use.........
Zeus
BBA BigBoss
BBA BigBoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sissyboy wrote:
I start this weekend. So I appreciate the tips!

Now if I can only put them to good use.........

Here's the biggest one most overlook, play SINGLE PLAYER, get familiar with controls, sounds, maps etc, it makes your online play less frustrating for you and teammates. wink
BBA Backer

Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As time goes on I'll add other people's advice (with credit) to the top post just to keep more of a repository of suggestions. May clean the thread from time to time because each post has a character count and it'd be good to keep all the info at the top.
Ron
Friend of BBA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two tips would be: wherever possible, SHOVE the boomer back before you shoot him. I've impulse killed him many, many times, and this is fine on easy and normal. As soon as you do it on advanced or expert, you really screw yourself if he's right in the middle of a group of infected. doh

Also, don't chase special infected. By all means kill them before they get you, but if you can't find one or it has run away, wait for it to come back to you rather than you going after it. This does not apply to the witch, however. Find her as carefully as possible and then if possible, quietly walk around, or follow -999-'s advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Buffalo Bad Asses Forum Index -> Left 4 Dead / 2 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: